It’s a great blessing to have people walk alongside and partner with our students during their year at The Bridge. There are often family members, friends and churches who are keen to support a student as they undertake The Bridge. If that’s you, here are three great ways you can support them:
Spiritual growth, wisdom and insight are good gifts from God and he tells us we can ask for those things. Key things to pray for a Bridge student include:
• That they might begin to grasp “how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ…”,
• For a growing delight in God’s word, and application to their everyday life,
• Wisdom in balancing study, relationships, church, work, rest and other commitments, and
• A greater understanding of God’s heart for the nations along with a growing desire to play a part in his mission to the world.
For updates on The Bridge and prayer points, sign up to our monthly enewsletter.
The local church is of vital importance to the growth and maturity of The Bridge students. For many that will be their home church. However, for some who have moved to Sydney, this will be a new opportunity for partnership with a new church community.
Our students are encouraged to continue active participation in their church during The Bridge year and to invite their church to partner with them in their spiritual growth, purposeful learning and understanding of global mission. Key ways in which churches may partner with The Bridge students include:
• Providing a mature Christian mentor for the student to meet with once a fortnight,
• Providing an opportunity for the student to present in a church service so that the congregation is aware of what they’re doing and how the church can support them. (We have lots of great videos that can be used!),
• Praying for the student throughout the year,
• Offering opportunities for the student to serve,
• Following their preparations for their three-week Mission Study Tour, and
• Offering financial support if the need and opportunity arise (See point 3).
A cross-cultural ministry placement is also a feature of The Bridge year, and some churches are able to offer opportunities for students to serve in ministries such as ESL, cross-cultural outreach, food pantry, migrant or refugee ministry, or multicultural evangelism.
We really value partnering with churches, and opportunities to engage further with pastors and mentors. Answers to common questions about student involvement at church can be found on our FAQ page, and we are always available to talk further about any aspect of a student’s year at The Bridge.
Though not required, some churches may like to make a financial contribution to a student's year. This helps to cover the cost of The Bridge program including the Mission Study Tour, cultural engagement visits across Sydney, study costs, discipleship exercises and team building experiences.
Direct payments can be made to the student's SMBC tuition account for The Bridge program (provided by the student), or via the SMBC Australian Scholarship Foundation Ltd.